PlainOldFavorites is a Mozilla Firefox extension that allows you to use the Internet Explorer and Windows Favorites directly from Firefox.
Install PlainOldFavorites 1.3
Firefox has a great Bookmarks system. It has many wonderful and useful features, and the bookmarks can be exported and imported from many bookmark formats. There are even several extensions out there that allow you to synchronize your bookmarks with a remote server, the Windows Favorites folder and so on. Some users still wish to keep some or all their bookmarks in the Windows Favorites folder. There can be several reasons for this. First, some new Firefox users might find the transition to Firefox smoother if they can still use their familiar Favorites folder. Also, a link to the Favorites folder can be found in several places throughout Windows, which makes it a convenient option for storing links. PlainOldFavorites allows using the Favorites folder directly from Firefox without needing to import or synchronize the bookmarks first.
- Access your Favorites directly from Firefox.
- Add a Favorite.
- Organize Favorites.
- Open in Tabs.
- Browse local files and open them using the default Windows action.
- Hiding the "Bookmarks" menu
Starting with version 1.1 of PlainOldFavorites, you can use PlainOldFavorites addon options dialog to turn the default Firefox Bookmarks menu on/off.
In Firefox main menu, select Tools > Add-ons then locate PlainOldFavorites and click on 'Options'.
You'll need to create and/or edit your
file. More information on this file can be found here
. Add the following lines to this file and restart the browser:
- Browse local files with PlainOldFavorites
Add a shortcut to a local folder and the folder contents will be expanded in a menu.
This is useful for often used programs, documents, images etc. See the screenshot for an example.
- When first opening the Favorites menu it takes several seconds to open.
- 'Organize Favorites' opens a blank window with IE8
This is a known problem that happens with some installations of Internet Explorer 8.
- Version 1.3
- Compatibility with Firefox 22
- Version 1.2
- Compatibility with Firefox 5-9
- Tweaks and bug fixes
- Version 1.1
- New PlainOldFavorites Options dialog with the following options:
- hide/show Firefox Bookmarks menu
- sort Favorites by name/by IE sort
- Firefox 4 compatibility
- Support for Favorites button in Firefox 4 Bookmarks toolbar, when Firefox main menu is hidden
- Fixed Favorites sort order issues with Windows Vista and Windows 7
- Version 1.0.2
- Fixed "Open in Tabs" with Firefox 3
- Finnish, Korean and Turkish translations - thanks to the BabelZilla team!
- Version 1.0.1
- Compatible with Firefox 3
- Catalan, Czech, Danish, Greek, Portuguese (Portugal) translations - thanks to the BabelZilla team!
- Version 1.0
- Compatible with Firefox 2
- Polish, Chinese, Swedish, Spanish, French and Slovak translations - thanks to the BabelZilla team
- Graduates to version 1.0!
- Version 0.5.6.1
- Compatible with Firefox 1.5
- In "Sort by Name" mode, folder appear before favorites
- Version 0.5.5
- Version 0.5.4
- Better handling of invalid files in Favorites folders (such as shortcuts to local files that do not exist)
- Remove illegal characters from a Favorite name when adding a Favorite
- German translation by Florian Bongartz
- Portuguese translation by Cleber Ribeiro
- Dutch translation by Frank Fesevur
- Version 0.5.3
- Doesn't show hidden files.
- Support local icon files (created by FavOrg and similar utilities).
- Version 0.5.2
- Support local files and shortcuts inside the Favorites folder.
Clicking performs the default Windows action.
- Show contents of folders pointed to by a shortcut.
- 'Open containing folder' context menu item.
- New context menu for folders - open/properties.
- Fixed uppercase "URL" extension bug.
- Version 0.5.1
- Added support for links to local folders.
- Added Italian translation by Giuliano Masseroni.
- Version 0.5 - first public release.
Please contact me with comments, suggestions, questions or bug reports.